Tuesday, October 19, 2010

College Essay

Shuping Mei

Ryan Gallagher

English CP

10/19/10


On my first day of school in the US, I was extremely lonely and helpless. It was a bright sunny day. The sky was a deep shade of blue and there was a slight breeze in the air. I took a deep breath and started walking toward the school entrance. I thought to myself “Why does this school not have a playground for morning exercise as Chinese school does?" As I slowly walked forward, I started looking at all the schoolmates. Most of them were in groups and all were speaking English. I felt very strange and scared when they stared at me. I felt like I was an alien who had just landed on planet earth at that moment. I really wanted to be invisible in those days. Sitting in the corner alone, watching a teacher's mouth open and close, and wondering what she was talking about was the only thing I could do. Suddenly, a teacher asked me “can you turn off the light?" Not understanding this sentence, my mind went completely blank and I answered, “Nothing." laughter immediately rippled across the classroom. Without knowing why, I laughed too.
Everything had to be begun over again since we decided to come to America. We started from nothing. No more intimate friends could comfort me when I was sad, no more mountaintop to climb when I wanted to release stress, no more of my favorite Chinese moon cake, no more Chinese festive holiday. On a frigid overcast day in the winter of 2008, I left my homeland where I had lived for 16 yeas and came to the United Stated, a beautiful and varied country. Immersed in an unknown environment at the age of 16, everything seemed uncertain to me. In this strange and mysterious land, people have come from all over the world, but despite these physical differences, everyone shares a language that connects them.
Living in new environment and speaking a second language is not easy in the beginning. I was fearful whenever people called my name. I was fearful when I was alone with people who spoke English. If I could only speak English, I would not have to answer a question by nodding or shaking my head. If I could only speak English, I would not be afraid when people say hello to me.
To pursue my dream of speaking English and to matriculate to a reputable university in the U.S, I have had to study intensively, especially English, for the past three years. I have become a pragmatic person, focusing on the present and working to turn thoughts into action. I forced myself to communicate, even if doing so caused me embarrassment. I started making American friends and speaking English at home. I gathered courage and asked teachers questions. I participated in many extracurricular activities. Now, I am tutor in the Pass Program. I help people to do their work and speak English. I enjoy being a tutor and I wish to help more people in the future.
My dad waited for twenty years for an opportunity to bring us here. Even though I left my homeland, I have learned so much about different cultures. I have learned about some effective technology. I have met friends from all over the world. And I can speak English now, even write essay in English. Now, I am not the one who answers a question by nodding and shaking head. I am the one who speak up in class. I am the one who always greet people. And, I believe I will be more successful in the future. Now, this is my responsibility to take care of my parents, this is my responsibility to myself and my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment