Friday, October 1, 2010

500 words on Bruegel

The painting that is my subject of description is entitled "Landscap with the fall of Icarus” by Pieter Bruegel.The size of the painting is 2x3 Inches.I see a large variety of different things and activities in this painting. They are of different colors.What grab my attention at first look is the man locates at the center of the painting.He is leading a horse by the bridle and the horse is pulling a car.It seems like he walks a horse down to somewhere.Only the left side of his face is visible to me because he is wearing a hat.His head is bent low as if he is thinkinig.And his dress is severely plain and antiquated.From the left top corner,I see trees,mountains and stones stair.I see the trees are turning from green to glod and a few of the trees are being bent.The trees are in front and the mountains are in back.Then if you look more down,there is a farm. To be precise,there is old man in the back.He puts his hand on his heart and gazes at the sky.I would assume he is boring. It is not very clear what he is doing in the picture,but it seems like he is feeding some kind of animals,perhaps some pigs and sheep.Iam not quite sure what they are.There are at least 15 animals. some are black,others are black.On the bottom right of the picture,there is man squats by the river.He is wearing white shrit.His right hand stretches forth straightly,as if asking for something,and his left hand is putting on his knee.I would assume that he is fishing because I see something is floating on the sea,it looks like fish. This is only an assumption because no other part of his body can be seen.Three boats are coming toward to Fishing man.The boat seems packed with a lot of things.Secondly,what grab my attention is a large and dark green sea.And the sea is surrounding by the hills and mountains.The sea is so wide and the boats are so small.As we see it,there are 6 different side boats on the sea.And I don't see anyone on the boats.Back to left of picture, there is a magnificent palace in the back.It seems like the hills and mountains are seperating them.I would assume that author wants to show us the differences between poverty and affluence.On the other hand,I think this picture time is sunset time because I see the sun is going down. I see the sky has a lot of colors, it's shade of white , bule, yellow and orange.In short,this painting is so dark.In the middle of sea there have small islands, some trees are growing in there, but looks like no one is living there because I don't see any building.Those are the thing that I see in this painting.